Backyard Burn Seasons are March 1 to June 15 and October 1 to December 15.

If you reside within Clackamas Fire’s coverage area, please call the daily burn message line: 503.742.2945.

  1. Backyard burning is NOT permitted inside the DEQ Burn Ban Boundary. Please use the Burn Restriction Map to determine if you reside within the burn ban boundary. To use the map, type in your address and click enter. When your address appears and if you are in the blue area, you are in the DEQ Burn Ban Boundary and are unable to burn. Click HERE for the Burn Restriction Map.
    Clackamas Fire and ODF may have different burn restrictions in place. You must follow the most restrictive limitations. While Clackamas Fire provides information on its burn line and on its website, individuals within the ODF boundary are strongly encouraged to review the ODF restrictions directly at:
  2. To file smoke complaints or pollution concerns related to burning, contact DEQ 24/7 at: 888.997.7888 or file a complaint online, click HERE. Do NOT call 911 for smoke complaints. If a burn pile is threatening life or property, call 911.
  3. Backyard burning includes yard debris, trimmings, and clippings only. Dimensional lumber, trash, other non-yard debris items cannot be burned at any time. Persons must ensure that combustible material is dried to the best extent possible. This includes covering combustible material to protect from moisture and loosely stacking material to eliminate dirt, rocks, or other noncombustible material to promote an adequate air supply within the burning pile.
  4. Backyard burning is only allowed during daylight hours and within a specified distance from a structure. Open burning shall not be conducted within 50 feet of any structure or other combustible material. Conditions, which could cause the fire to spread to within 50 feet of a structure, shall be eliminated prior to ignition.
  5. The Fire Marshal’s Office is no longer issuing Special Burn Permits.
  6. In order to qualify for an Agricultural Burn Permit, you must have an active agricultural operation on your property. The primary living must be earned from the farm or tax returns filed as a farmer or grower. You will only be able to burn debris that is a direct result of your agricultural operation with your Agricultural Burn Permit.
Skip to content